Devotions

Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Relieve my Monotony!

Restlessness is growing in me like water coming to a slow boil. Like a toddler who has been confined to the car seat too long, I’m kicking my heels against the monotony.


I want out!  Out of “safe at home” guidelines. 


I long for a new view, something unfamiliar to explore. 


Surely somebody has something to say that I haven’t heard repeatedly.


Wait, three year old Willow does. Six months ago we crossed our fingers and hoped she would string more than two words together.  Now she’s a blond, earthbound, human version of a mynah bird. She repeats what she hears so well I can tell which family member she heard it from.


“Fine,” she says with a resigned tone when I asked her cooperation. That’s her 13 year old sister talking. Willow just hasn’t learned to roll her eyes yet.


“That’s odd.”  Odd? Does she even know what odd is? No, she doesn’t. But I chuckle when I hear her say it. 




“I.Want. A birthday present. NOW.” The phrasing, crossed arms, and stamp of her tiny foot came straight from 7 year old Bo. The demand is cuter from her than it is from her brother.  He’s also modeled, “It’s my favorite...” book, color, shirt. And “I love...” chips, ice cream, chocolate. 


And Bo’s probably the source for “I don’t like you anymore.” 


“Chill, Dad.” That’s one of the teens.


She doesn’t miss a thing. 


When she spent a weekend here plastic animals and Lego people were dying at an alarming rate.  Apparently she listened in on recent conversations about her great-grandmother’s death.  So I tried to segue from dead critters to the larger concept. I told her that because Frieda had died, we wouldn’t see her anymore and that made us sad. But who knows what a tiny person understands. Not much, apparently. After two nights here her siblings asked if she had a good time at grandma and grandpa’s.


“Grandma Pam’s dead,” she announced.  


She didn’t hear it from me.

 

**********************************


FYI Starting tomorrow, the third Thursday of each month will be Theos Thursday and I will share a meditation based on a short Bible Passage. Please join me for those, too. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers, I have been advised that to leave comments you will want to access the blog a browser other than Safari. Thanks.