Devotions

Thursday, April 4, 2019

Bad Travel News turns into Good Art Views

Travel bad news: cancelled flight, reroute, mechanical delay on reroute which would make me miss my connection home, with stand-by only for an earlier flight. 

Good news:  It gave me time to wander and discover new airport art. Art is a bonus in any airport--charming, soothing, enjoyable. At no extra cost. 



These metallic butterflies glittered and flittered over my head in Greensboro like the real thing. 
I bet they'd have sounded like gentle chimes.








Eventually I connected in Philadelphia and was compelled to stop to photograph these pieces. 



This long panel was wool stitched and felted to create mushrooms and toadstools. I've seen both red and orange fungi in the wild. I don't know if there is one with a turquoise cap like these, but they  created a whimsical mood for me. 














From a distance I thought these colorful shapes might be made of buttons and macaroni. (Maybe I need stronger glasses.)  But when I magnified the photo I discovered they were flotsam and jetsam--the ordinary transformed to beautiful, like Cinderella's pumpkin.






   

I had even had time to grab a snack at the 2019 version of a drive-in restaurant. I rolled my carry-on to the gate-side restaurant, ordered online, and my beer and appetizer were promptly delivered. Only difference was that the server wasn't on roller-skates. 

So even though I got home later than expected, it was a happy-ending.  There wasn't any novelty in the original itinerary, but Plan B turned into a little adventure. 






Since I'm bringing you the best of recent airport art, here are photos from an earlier trip to Albany, NY. I had plenty of time to wander here, and  enjoyed the colorful circles made by light entering the large round windows in the front of the terminal. 


 
  Down on the concourse I imagined myself living in one of the imaginary homes in a set created by Robert Hite.
Follow the link to see more.






Mohawk artist Elizabeth Doxtater embroidered the boots. 












Which all just goes to show that the process of travel can be almost as much fun as the destination. 


























No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers, I have been advised that to leave comments you will want to access the blog a browser other than Safari. Thanks.