Devotions

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Sprigs: Feathered Fighter Pilots

My granddaughter and I made sugar syrup for the hummingbirds and hung the feeder above the deck. It didn’t take long to catch their attention, and the bickering began.

I don’t understand why delicate, tiny helicopterish hummers turn into feathery fighter pilots around a feeder.  Whenever one came to feed, another challenged it. I read on one site that they are extremely territorial, and will even attack artificial hummingbirds! 

Their maneuvers were remarkable. High above the feeder two lunged, swerved, feinted, parried, and finally parted. Did they establish who was the alpha male? (or female?) 

Between battles they managed to empty the feeder, and I packed it back into the shed. 




I enjoy them much more when they peacefully work over my flowers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers, I have been advised that to leave comments you will want to access the blog a browser other than Safari. Thanks.