Devotions

Monday, January 23, 2017

Scylla and Charybdis

Scylla and Charybdis live in my garage. More accurately, getting into my garage is sort of like Odysseus trying to get past the two monsters at sea.

Add captionhttp://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcayvyvM9X1r8xssuo1_1280.jpg
Quick refresher of Homer's classic:  Odysseus had to sail past Charybdis, a nymph-turned-whirlpool. Opposite  the violent eddy was another nymph turned into a ship-destroying, sailor-munching monster. 




My twin dangers are a very narrow garage door, and the small strait between the two facing garage buildings. I have scraped past Scylla, but not unscathed. Despite Bill's driving lesson, I fused the white garage paint to the grey body of the car while it squealed.


ouch



It's a good metaphor for the spring-summer-fall-winter of our distress. Circumstances squeezed us. We got beat up some. There was squealing. But we could have been altogether wrecked. 


http://ulyssesuncovered.weebly.com/
uploads/2/6/3/3/26334224/6873659.png?353
Odysseus lost the ship to the whirlpool but saved himself. Then, when the pool tossed the ship back up to the surface he snagged it and escaped. Rescued by deus ex machina.
    

We didn't count on improbable theatrics (the ex machina part) to save us, but on God and our support groups.  To those who doubt prayer's efficacy, I argue it's got to be more reliable than a belching vortex.

If you've been in a tight spot, I'd like to hear your story. Share your dents, missing paint, and the rescue.  You don't have to be Homer to encourage us. 













1 comment:

  1. Pam,

    I love this post! Thank you for sharing. Pictures are great. I hate straight-in parking.

    ReplyDelete

Readers, I have been advised that to leave comments you will want to access the blog a browser other than Safari. Thanks.