Devotions

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Flamenco, Restrained Passion

"Mom" my daughter said, "you need to exercise more. You walk like an old lady."

I walk like an old lady?!  Was that because I only walked 3 miles on a snowy road and the rest of the family continued into the woods? Or because I'm stiff and totter a bit when I first get out of bed? 

If I were going to pick up a new exercise regime, I think it might be flamenco dancing.  

1) Flamenco burns calories, works important muscle groups, and
2) even older gals get to dance with the cute young guys.  


in Granada, Spain






3) The costumes are a lot more fun than spandex and draw the eye away from mid-body lumps. The long skirt would hide my varicose veins.  Low heeled shoes with a strap are safe for any age.

4) You don't have to compare stats with anybody, for example miles walked or your time for the 10K.  Who's going to ask how many times your castanets clicked per minute?

5) Of course, you'll have to learn to play castanets, which are made from and named after, chestnuts. 

6) It's an art form of restrained passion--dark glances over the shoulder, the disdainful tilt of the chin, or arms extended in invitation to the beloved. That's more excitement than a brisk walk any day.

7) Complex hand clapping and flourishes of a fluid, fringed shawl add more  drama, and a few more micro-calories burned.

So when Susanna asks how my exercise program is coming, I'll tell her I'm committed to being a flamenco dancer. As soon as my lessons begin in Spain.

Do you have a fantasy exercise program? Do tell.















3 comments:

  1. I love this! I'm with you, Pam! I once got a "Belly Dancing as Exercise" DVD. The back of the DVD said it was great exercise and sensual. Hmmm...first, my body isn't made to move like that - I'm sure those girls are triple-jointed; second, there is no way what I was doing was sensual! I would have been a good comedy act. I persisted for a while but eventually gave up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sherry, you made me laugh out loud! So what is your alternative to belly dancing?

      Delete
    2. I walk my retired-racer greyhound almost every day. She pulls me along at a trot.

      Delete

Readers, I have been advised that to leave comments you will want to access the blog a browser other than Safari. Thanks.