Devotions

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Sprigs: Thriller, Filler, Spiller

Traipsing around the south on two road trips last month left me too little time to plant my window boxes. They are brown and bare. 

But I'm motivated now! 


 I was awed and jealous when I saw this house in Charleston, SC. The symmetry mimics the architecture and moves one's eye along the length of the porch. 



The lush green foliage complements the versicolored flowers.


















The "landscape" of the box exemplifies the thriller, spiller, filler rule of thumb. 

I can identify salvia and coleus as filler. The pink flower is the thriller (any idea what it is?), especially as it contrasts with the  purple salvia and sweet potato plant. Alyssum fills in. And the neon vines spill and punch up the palette.

As soon as I get home from my next trip [background  music: "my bags are packed, I'm ready to go..."] I'll plant my boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers, I have been advised that to leave comments you will want to access the blog a browser other than Safari. Thanks.