Devotions

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Sprigs: NC Passion Flower

This exotic blossom is growing in a hedge of weeds along my country road.  Doesn't it look like an escapee from a tropical forest? 






Coincidentally I was in Winston (at a charming garden/gift/foodie shop called the Li'l Briar Patch) and noticed an arbor covered with a plant with smooth green fruit, but no flowers in bloom.  My friend said it was a passion flower.

Something clicked in my head. (Remember the synapse.) Was mine a passion flower?

Sure enough, wikipedia confirmed I'd found a passion flower. I went back out to "my" specimen. It had the vine and fruit. Today I'm going back out with a shovel and moving the North Carolina native to my yard where it will get an appreciative audience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers, I have been advised that to leave comments you will want to access the blog a browser other than Safari. Thanks.