Devotions

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Sprigs: Foiling blossom end rot in tomatoes

This is the time we try to forestall BER (blossom end rot), which sounds sort of like BMI but it's for tomatoes. 

urbanext.illinois.edu
Nothing sinks my gardener's heart faster than the squishy, off-colored rot spot at the bottom of the fruit.






So, I use tomato food.

And I keep them watered. Deeply. Near the roots. I made one of these  modified 2 liter soda bottles for each plant.


It's a bonus that they guide my chief garden-helper to know he's given them just the right amount of water. So far, they're doing well, but we're in early times yet. 

How do you foil the Death Angel of tomatoes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers, I have been advised that to leave comments you will want to access the blog a browser other than Safari. Thanks.