Devotions

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Sprigs: Zucchini--Friend or Faux?





I recently peeled, grated and froze about twelve cups of zucchini for soup and   breads. Made a huge chocolate zucchini cake, too. And a batch of zucchini-potato soup. (It was tasty.) I consoled myself that it was worth the effort because they were good for me.

Curious, I looked up their nutritional information.  To get your recommended daily allowance of potassium you'd have to eat 7 medium zucchini; to get your day's fiber you'd have to eat 12! Just to get your vitamin C you'd have to eat two. 

True, it's fun to watch their explosive growth, but I think I'll put them on the "don't bother" list of vegetables-- faux, not friend.  The critters must feel the same. Since I discovered their true nature, I've been tossing them into the woods at the side of the yard. They remain untouched.

What have you decided to eliminate from your garden? Why?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers, I have been advised that to leave comments you will want to access the blog a browser other than Safari. Thanks.