Devotions

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Sprigs: Weeding



Our front yard. Some things look better from a distance! 


I aspire to have a weed-free, Martha Stewart garden without a the staff.

It doesn't work. 

When I get into the beds and begin weeding, I get frantic, a frenzy falls on me. Speed dispatches deliberation and inevitably I pull up some some little darling.  

A character in a novel is weeding, and accidentally pulls up a flower. She exactly describes how I feel about the mistake:

 "'I can't believe I did that'...(she says) holding it (a small lady's mantle) tenderly, as if it were a pet."

Yet not everyone is hostile to weeds.  Frederick Law  Olmstead, landscape genius who designed Central Park, the grounds of Biltmore House and the Chicago World's Fair in 1893 said, "Everywhere the best ornamental groups that we see are those in which vines and creepers are outwitting the gardner. We can't have little vines and weeds enough."

He must have seen something I don't see!  



Martha's kitchen garden








No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers, I have been advised that to leave comments you will want to access the blog a browser other than Safari. Thanks.