Devotions

Thursday, May 9, 2013

How to Memorize Bible Verses

As an adult I find the task of memorizing Bible verses both challenging and very rewarding.

I start by breaking the verse(s) into phrases. Then I look for words I can abbreviate, or change into numbers. 

Then I add pictures and symbols. Pictures are much easier for me to remember than words, and I can visualize them in my head as cues to the phrases. Remember those synapses (sidebar)? They are increased with this method because I'm making connections with both hemispheres of my brain.
The right side uses the words, the left, the pictures.

Once I create a symbol for a key word I use it consistently (like the little circles in lines one and four, those represent the word "saints.")



Ephesians 1:15-19f


Then I repeat the phrases using the visual prompts until I have it memorized.

A tip: once you've memorized a verse, you must review it regularly to "keep" it.  

Try it out, and let me know how it works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers, I have been advised that to leave comments you will want to access the blog a browser other than Safari. Thanks.