Devotions

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Yard Decorations: Sacred, secular and scrambled

The turkey is just a carcass and here at Western Gardens (name changed to avoid offense), the residents are decorating their buildings for the traditional contest. 

I overheard two women in the locker room talking about which company they hire to put up their lights and displays. Whoa, our one-man committee (me) put up the wreath left by the departing building representative, upgraded it with a string of lights, and plugged it in. 

Wreaths, swags and bows suit my fancy. So do giant trees wound with thousands of tiny lights. Discombobulated, include-it-all displays leave me shaking my head. Themes are more relaxing, more elegant. Unless it's my four year old grandson's vision of adding a new inflatable snowman to their yard every year.

Last Sunday, which was a pleasant 70 degrees, the serious contenders for the development's contest were busy. I passed another walker coming my direction from a building bustling with industrious volunteers. I commented, "They're working hard." 

     
"They're fighting about where everything goes," she said. 

Well, I could see why. Their collection of miscellany don't fit in the secular, or the sacred, or any other category. 

I took another walk today to check on the procrastinators.  Animals decked out with hats and angel wings are popular.

      


But so far, no red and green dragons, like this one in Home Depot. Can anyone explain its connection to Christmas, Hanukah, or Kwanzaa?

 

I didn't see anything I would vote for. 

Too bad we can't just project a giant video of the newest grandbaby on a wall. She's the best gift ever, and a winner!



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers, I have been advised that to leave comments you will want to access the blog a browser other than Safari. Thanks.