Devotions

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Lessons from a Wild Thing



I haven’t been able to identify these little flowers on the internet. They’re not a hybrid gladiola, I don’t think. Probably an uncultivated species.

These little beauties have several admirable qualities, and while trimming the spent blossoms I made some applications to life. 

Although the blossoms are small, they are prolific. One stalk had twelve blooms on it.

First lesson: Even though my contribution in the world may seem small, if I persist, I can make a notable impact. 




They are adaptable to all soil types, and in either sun or shade. 

Second: The more flexible I am, the more opportunities I'll find. 

Plentiful stalks create an eye-catching mass of color. 

Third: My concentrated efforts are more effective than spreading my energy over too many projects. 

Look closely into the salmon colored flower and see the lavender streaks (the anther), like a spray of sparks shooting from fireworks.  It’s an example of a triadic color scheme, three colors (including the green foliage) spaced evenly around the color wheel.  It’s balanced, harmonious, and I think, a little surprising.

Fourth: There's more zest in my life if I stay balanced.




As crazy as I am about these flowers, they do have a drawback--they take over unless regularly ripped up from unwanted spaces. “But they’re so pretty...” my husband says.  When they march right over other plants to the edge of the bed they’ve become a nuisance. (So yank ‘em out, and give 'em to somebody else.) 

Fifth: I need to keep my enthusiasm within reasonable boundaries. For example,  no matter the quality or the motive, unsolicited advice is a weed. 

What aspect of your life encourages you to reflect? Your exercising? reading? faith? What lesson would you share with us? 










No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers, I have been advised that to leave comments you will want to access the blog a browser other than Safari. Thanks.