Devotions

Monday, July 23, 2012

Three Things that Annoy


Sometimes the songs from the synapse are off key: 


There are three things that annoy me, yea, four under which I cannot bear up:


bossy children,
cleaning out my refrigerator,
paying for expensive medicine, 
and slow-pokes behind the wheel.


All four challenged me this week. 


 Sunday a child in the church preschool class sets my teeth on edge. 
"Kids don't like to play with little girls who tell them what to do" I say.
"But they need someone to boss them." 
 Oh yes, that's how all of us know-it-alls think. 

While cleaning my refrigerator I find the butt ends of vegetables sliced and left in the crisper, now shriveled and fuzzy. My attitude is as slimy as the squash scraps. 


Then the nurse calls and wants me to refill an expensive medication--for just 3 three days, I get cranky. Surely I can't die that fast without it. I consider self-medicating. 


On the way to the pharmacy I'm behind a dawdling driver. I mutter and moan.


These are NOT the reactions of a grace-filled woman. 


Thankfully, the book of Proverbs is as good at the cure as it is at the diagnosis. "If you have been foolish, exalting yourself, or if you have been devising evil, put your hand on your mouth."  Proverbs 30:32


There are two things that are amazing to me, yes, three that encourage me:

God's patience,
foolishness isn't terminal
and that sour melodies can become sweet songs.

































   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers, I have been advised that to leave comments you will want to access the blog a browser other than Safari. Thanks.